Natural Capital(ism)? A live debate on cash and saving nature
The ESCom Series is new for 2015. Through this series, ESCom Scotland will host a range of monthly knowledge exchange and networking events throughout Scotland that highlight the ecosystem services work being carried out by our community members.
Our second ESCom Series event, a public debate on the 12th November, will be hosted by Dr Marc Metzger and Prof. Jonathan Silvertown from University of Edinburgh. Natural capital and ecosystem services have become pervasive in environmental policy and nature conservation, but remain controversial concepts. In this public debate we invite a diverse panel to reflect on the concept and discuss questions from the audience.
During the first hour we invite each panel give a short personal reflection on the concepts, and the merits and dangers of incorporating them in policy, land management and conservation. The second hour will comprise a facilitated discussion around questions submitted by the audience before the event. The event will close with an informal reception.
- Prof. Alison Hester, Head of Theme: Safeguarding Natural Capital, James Hutton Institute
- Jonny Hughes, Chief Executive of the Scottish Wildlife Trust, Programme Director of the World Forum on Natural Capital and IUCN Global Councillor
- Dr Rebecca Badger, Environmental Economist at SEPA
- Prof. Bill Slee, Emeritus Fellow at the James Hutton Institute
- Dr Roddy Fairley, Ecosystems and biodiversity Strategic Manager at Scottish Natural Heritage
For more details and booking https://naturalcapitalismalivedebate.eventbrite.co.uk